Tigers’ win just as good on replay

Obviously, I was at St.Kilda V Melbourne when this match ended. Fortunately, I taped it so I could watch probably the equal best match of the round in full.

A lazy afternoon in the holidays was the perfect time to view this game. Sydney won the toss and kicked to the city end. As the first quarter started it turned in to a tight, physical game, with the Tigers on top mentally, which the tackle count showed. The first goal came from Nason after Riewoldt shielded the ball from going through the goals. However, the Swans were getting more of the ball. Jude Bolton was in double figures of possessions in no time, Moore kicked Sydney’s first from fifty. After setting up the first goal, Riewoldt kicked the Tigers’ next two. At the other end, Jack squeezed one through from the pack, and Mumford kicked a goal as the siren sounded to put the Swans three points ahead. I’d say the Tigers had the better of the quarter though. Their defence looked sure, Thursfield, Astbury and Moore, their three key defenders, had 28 possessions between them in the first quarter. Astbury’s 10 had already eclipsed his season average.

The second quarter started with a fantastic contested mark from Riewoldt in the goal square- his third in a row for Richmond. Goodes was continuing his run of bad form. The Swans however, were lifting. A fantastic link-up play is spoiled by Shaw’s second easy miss for the match. Bolton dished off his 15th possession to McVeigh who goaled from long range. The Tigers replied through Farmer, but that was the Tigers’ last goal until deep in the third quarter, but Cousins and Jackson continued to star at the stoppages. McVeigh kicked two goals in a row, his second and third for the quarter. The second was courtesy of a brilliant tap from Mike Pyke into space. Bolton, Hannebery and McVeigh were starring. Those three had 55 possessions in the first half- and just 22 in the second. The Swans were getting stronger, the Tigers’ accurate kicking had been essential.

The third quarter began with a dubious free kick given against Nason. This turned into a fantastic goal on the boundary from fifty out from Moore. Riewoldt kicked the Tigers’ first behind- a miss to the left. Sydney began to dominate the play, despite rushing through a behind in a desperate situation, Newman turned it over to McGlynn straight from the kick in who banged it home, after missing one earlier. Collins took a nice mark and a tidy kick broke the goal drought, but the Swans continued. And Goodes started to have an impact. After missing two shots from a similar position, O’Keefe hit him deep in the pocket and Goodes put his side 28 in front. Deledio, who had undergone a big revival from what looked like a terrible injury, picked up 10 possessions in the third quarter and almost kicked a team-lifting goal. Mike Pyke took a contested mark at the tip of the square, ran in and kicked it home. At this point, Sydney led by 33. The Tigers didn’t give up. Martin kicked a spectacular goal, who was yet again playing another great game, with a new tattoo on his neck. Griffiths, who was quiet all day, took a great mark and put one through from deep in the pocket. Richmond’s youngsters were making an impact. The crowd was helping the Tigers. What happened next could only be described as: RIEWOLDT!!!!! That act of courage from Riewoldt put the Tigers within 14 points at the break. I was looking forward to the final quarter.

Deledio set up Newman, who danced around an opponent and kicked a goal from outside fifty. Farmer went on a scintillating run through the middle of the ground, but failed to convert. Games aren’t usually exciting when you know the final result, but this one was. Dennis-Lane, the debutant, had previously missed two shots on goal terribly but this one went straight through the middle from the pocket, to regain the 14-point lead. Riewoldt kicked one from a pass from Newman, who was having a fantastic last quarter. The talking point was when Collins came off, but even when that happened, Newman was there, and kicked a left-foot banana goal to bring the margin back to eight points. It was frantic. Then, Collins came back on the ground and kicked two goals within a couple of minutes. Despite a couple of late marks from Roberts-Thomson the Swans just couldn’t do it. The siren sounded. The Yellow and black spirit filled the MCG, although I can’t define what that is. 4/5 for the Tigers, and to top it off, they’re only half a game behind Melbourne.

Richmond 3.0—5.0—9.3—14.5 (89)

Sydney 3.3—6.6—10.11—12.13 (85)


Richmond: Riewoldt 5, Collins 3, Newman 2, Farmer, Nason, Martin, Griffiths.

Sydney: McVeigh 3, Moore 2, Goodes 2, Jack, Mumford, Dennis-Lane, McGlynn, Pyke.


Richmond: Jackson, Thursfield, Newman, Deledio, Connors, Riewoldt.

Sydney: Bolton, McVeigh, O’Keefe, Hannebery, Roberts-Thomson, Mumford.

Umpires: Rosebury, Stewart, Grun.    Crowd: 39,386 at the MCG.

My Votes: 3. Daniel Jackson (RICH), 2. Jude Bolton (SYD), 1. W.Thursfield (RICH).

About Steve Healy

Steve Healy is an entity of a Melbourne supporter.


  1. Good report Doc.

    Jackson 3 votes? Almanac bias, surely?

    Astbury is looking increasingly at home in defence, let’s face it, he wouldn’t be the first player to kick 3 goals in his first match before forging a career as a defender.

  2. Steve Healy says


    Nah I thought Jackson was instrumental in winning the game for the Tigers, especially in the second half. 20 possessions, 13 tackles and 8 clearances I think, and probably a touch of Almanac bias.

    Yeah just Rutten he had 7 possessions and 3.0 in his first game

  3. Steve Healy says

    just like Rutten*

Leave a Comment