‘Tiger star puts icing on cake…’ by KB Hill

It took someone special to capture my imagination as a 14 year-old O & M fan all those years ago; particularly if he wasn’t wearing a Brown and Gold guernsey…….


They were the days before saturation-level footy television coverage.


There was a touch of mystique about following the VFL from afar. You monitored it via the daily newspapers, the Saturday and mid-week Sporting Globes ( the ‘Pink Bible’ as we used to call it ) and religiously tuned in to World of Sport at mid-day Sunday.


There’d be a couple of hastily-planned trips down to take in a League match when it fitted into our hectic schedule….But largely, our links with the big-time were the several VFL stars who headed bush – often in the prime of their careers……..




One of them lobbed at Wangaratta in 1961.


Ron McDonald



Ron McDonald was a strongly-built, high-marking, long-kicking key position player, who accepted a transfer in the Bank after a successful 92-game career with Richmond.


He’d represented Victoria at the Centenary National Carnival in Melbourne in 1958, and topped the Tigers’ Brownlow Medal voting the year after.


So he was no slouch……….To me, he appeared to be an ‘immovable object’ when he lined up at centre half-forward, amidst great fanfare, for the ‘Pies in the early rounds of ‘61…….




Premiership. It irked some that for the succeeding three years they played second fiddle to the Rovers – their arch home-town rivals.


The Hawks had appeared in a hat-trick of Grand Finals – winning two of them – and were ignited by the brilliance of the legendary Bob Rose.


The ‘Pies coach, Neville Waller, was Rose’s team-mate in Collingwood’s 1953 flag (in just his 16th VFL game) and had been a serviceable defender/ruckman, before being lured to Wang in 1959.


Norm McGuffie, who had been involved with the Club since he began playing in the early twenties, and then switched to a lengthy stint as administrator, was a key figure in Waller’s recruitment, with the help of former coach Mac Holten.


The big man settled well into the town, taking over a Bike Shop in Reid Street, and proving a popular leader and strong personality.





Since Waller’s arrival, the team had undergone somewhat of a transformation. In his maiden season they suffered an ignominious 69-point Preliminary Final hiding at the hands of the Rovers, then slumped to seventh, with a 7-11 win-loss record in 1960.


Only six members of the ‘57 premiership side remained.


They included the mercurial on-baller Kevin Mack, high-flying ‘Rinso’ Johnstone, who could be used with equal effect at either end of the ground; defenders John Holloway and Bernie Killeen; evergreen five-time premiership ruckman Graeme Woods; and the swashbuckling spearhead Bob ‘Bushy’ Constable.


In the ensuing seasons, though, several talented youngsters were blooded. Tough-as-nails utility Bob Comensoli, who doubled as the Riverina middleweight boxing champion in the off-season, had been squeezed out of the ‘Pies previous tilt at glory, purely because of his inexperience.


He was now a star, as was the tall, blond centre half-back Rodney Swan, who was recruited from Yea. The highly promising Herbie Dowling, classy Bruce Robbins, and Corowa small man Cliff Hawkins also made their mark.


The Ovens and King League proved a fruitful recruiting zone, as speedster Basil Schubert was coaxed in from Moyhu, highly-rated Len Richards from Tarrawingee, and Normie Stewart from Beechworth. Promising Alan Benton was given several opportunities after graduating from WJFL club Springhurst.


Skilful centreman, John Mulrooney, an experienced 26 year-old mid-fielder, with 36 senior games of VFL footy under his belt, arrived at Wangaratta from St. Kilda, via Ballarat, in 1960.


‘Mul’, a bricklayer by trade, immediately provided the necessary ‘hardness at the contest’, as did a highly-touted young, dual Chiltern premiership player, Billy Peake.


And another who’d proved a star since arriving to teach at Wangaratta High School in 1959, was dependable Bill Traill. ‘Tracker’ was somewhat of a country footy journeyman. His resumé was second-to-none, and he settled into a role in defence for his adopted Club.


Kevin O’Keefe, a diminutive rover, returned to help operate the family farm at Boorhaman, after spending his secondary school years at Assumption College.





Officials were suitably impressed by his rapid improvement, and it was no surprise when he took out the Club Best and Fairest Award In 1960.


Waller also kept close tabs on a precociously talented local boy who’d headed off to Boarding School at Melbourne’s Xavier College, and was earning rave notices in the Public Schools competition.


Des Steele had already signed a Form Four, binding him to Collingwood, but Wang managed to snaffle him for a handful of matches, which confirmed his eligibility for the Finals……………………




The shape of the Ovens and Murray competition changed markedly in 1961.


Reigning premier Wangaratta Rovers, suffering from the exit of several players and reeling from the hospitalisation of coach Bob Rose during the season, fell back to the field and dropped out of finals contention.


Myrtleford and Yarrawonga, First Semi-Final combatants in 1960, also found the going much harder. It left Wodonga as the only Club to maintain their finals status.


The Bulldogs’ dominant season earned them the Minor Premiership, two games clear of Benalla, 13-5, who snatched second place, on percentage from Wangaratta. Corowa, 12-6, filled fourth spot.


The First Semi-Final combatants – Wangaratta and Corowa – had staged a battle-royal at the Showgrounds the previous week, with the ‘Pies falling in by two points. Opinion was divided on favouritism for the Semi, at Yarrawonga’s Grove Oval.


In the midst of Wang’s horror three-match losing streak in the middle of the season, the Spiders had inflicted a 52-point hiding upon them. Fans in the Border town were, to say the least, exuberant about their chances.


The Spiders were a revitalised, well-balanced side under the coaching of ex-Collingwood captain Frank Tuck, and inspired by a dashing centre half-back, Jimmy Sandral. After several years in the doldrums, they were making their first finals appearance since 1949.


They went into the game with Tuck and the important key position player Bobby Ronnfeldt both under an injury cloud.


Almost inevitably, Ronnfeldt was forced from the field early in the first term – an ominous sign for the Spiders.


But they fought back valiantly, with young sensation Max Urquhart and Geoff and Barry Swasbrick on song, to go into the half-time break only trailing by one point.


Little separated the sides in the third term. Every time Corowa appeared to be gaining the ascendency, the great play of McDonald and Mulrooney spurned the challenge.


The loss of Tuck towards the end of the quarter was a mortal blow for the Spiders, who trailed 10.12 to 9.7 at three-quarter time.


Nevertheless, they hit the front with the opening two goals of the final term………But that proved to be the end of the ball-game for them.


With McDonald in brilliant form the ‘Pies caught fire. They booted 10 goals for the quarter to win running away by 40 points.


Key forwards, McDonald (7) and Bob Constable (5), were unstoppable in the emphatic 20.14 to 14.10 victory……..




Wodonga were odds-on to take out the Second Semi-Final, but Benalla had other ideas. They virtually wrapped the game up when they kicked 4.4 to the ‘Dogs two behinds in the third quarter, in gusty conditions.

Despite a Wodonga fight-back in the final term, the Demons held on to prevail 9.13 to 8.11, and clinch a Grand Final spot……..




One thing was certain, in the eyes of many O & M fans…….Wodonga would react strongly to their shock defeat in the eagerly-anticipated Preliminary Final clash with Wangaratta, at the Albury Sportsground.


The first half was a poor-standard affair. The ‘Dogs held a slender 4.4 to 2.5 lead at half-time.


Wangaratta took complete charge in the second half, with ‘Rinso’ Johnstone producing a Best-on-Ground performance at full back.



Benalla’s Alf Sikora battles for possession with Ron McDonald



Kevin Mack, McDonald (4 goals), Mulrooney, and youngster Des Steele were the other stand-outs for the winners, who consigned Wodonga to a straight-sets 14.15 to 6.11 exit from the Finals…….




The sentiments of the football public had swung a full circle since the commencement of the Finals.


Wangaratta, because of their dominant performances, were rated hot-favourites to take out the 1961 title, despite Benalla earning the week’s rest and enjoying an exemplary season.


From the first bounce the Magpies dominated the match in every department. They out-marked, out-ran and out-thought a Benalla combination which appeared rattled by the first-quarter onslaught to which they’d been subjected.


The Demons were never allowed back into the game.



Wangaratta coach Neville Waller and his side, greeted by adoring fans at the Railway Station


Neville Waller led his team in grand style. His ruckwork and marking were a treat to watch. But he had plenty of support. Bill Peake and Basil Schubert both chalked up 23 kicks, Kevin Mack was outstanding, and Ron McDonald’s 5 goals gave him 16 for the three finals. Small man Kevin O’Keefe also capped off another impressive finals series with four goals, whilst defender Traill, Cliff Hawkins and the veteran ruckman Graeme Woods also impressed.


Alf Sikora, Joey Joyce, ruckman Terry Putt and winger Ronnie Hayes battled hard for the Demons.


The scoreboard told the story of the Magpies’ dominance : 17.15 (117) to Benalla’s 7.12 (54).



Backs: Len Richards, Terry Johnstone, Graeme Woods

Half Backs: Basil Schubert, Rodney Swan, Bill Traill

Centres: Bruce Robbins, John Mulrooney, Herb Dowling

Half Forwards: Des Steele, Ron McDonald, Bill Peake

Forwards: Kevin Mack, Bob Constable, Cliff Hawkins

Rucks: Neville Waller, Bob Comensoli, Kevin O’Keefe

19th & 20th: Alan Benton, Norm Stewart.



Ron McDonald played on with Wangaratta until a leg injury forced his retirement in 1963, after 38 games in Black and White. He passed away in 2000.


Star centre half-back Bernie Killeen was the ‘hard-luck story’ when he damaged his knee mid-season. John Holloway also failed to ‘come up’ after being injured in the First Semi-Final.


Five players: Kevin Mack (1959, ‘64), Kevin O’Keefe (1960), Len Richards (1961), Des Steele (1965, ‘70), Bill Traill (1962) won Club B & F’s, whilst Mack and Bob Constable have been inducted as members of the O & M Hall of Fame…….




This story appeared first on KB Hill’s website On Reflection and is used here with permission. All photos sourced from KB Hill’s resources unless otherwise acknowledged.


To read more of KB Hill’s great stories on the Almanac, click HERE.


The Tigers (Covid) Almanac 2020 will be published in 2021. It will have all the usual features – a game by game account of the Tigers season – and will also include some of the best Almanac writing from the Covid winter.  Pre-order HERE.


To return to our Footy Almanac home page click HERE.


Our writers are independent contributors. The opinions expressed in their articles are their own. They are not the views, nor do they reflect the views, of Malarkey Publications.


Do you enjoy the Almanac concept?

And want to ensure it continues in its current form, and better? To help things keep ticking over please consider making your own contribution.


Become an Almanac (annual) member – CLICK HERE.

One-off financial contribution – CLICK HERE.

Regular financial contribution (monthly EFT) – CLICK HERE.





Leave a Comment