Round 3 – Carlton v Hawthorn: Another Grand Final rematch with the closest of margins

Carlton v Hawthorn

Sunday April 3, 2022, 1:10pm




Is it just me or have there been more Grand Final rematches in the first three rounds than usual? I’ll come back to you on that…


It was a John Harms Football Day: 3.4.22. The only other one this year is 2/10/22.


In Round 1 I was waxing lyrical about 1972 (and not mentioning 1973!). This week I was remembering 1986 and 1987 when Carlton played Hawthorn, losing in ’86 and winning in ’87. I was back in the box behind the Punt Rd goals.


1:10pm is not a civilised start time – spoils a good lunch! On top of that, it was really hard to get to the ‘G due to the Run for the Kids – an excellent cause but a major traffic snarler. I ditched the car in Parkville and was lucky not to get booked in a three hour spot.


A combination of tram and Shanks’ pony got me to the ground and into the box about two minutes in. Hawthorn scored the first goal but then it was all Carlton. It looked like they were queueing up for their turn as Harry McKay Charlie Curnow, Patrick Cripps and Jack Silvagni all marked and goaled. We had our first blemish before Matt Owies joined the mark-and-goal party. Then a fantastic crumbed goal by Corey Durdin put even more icing on the cake. Then McKay got his second and it was Carlton 7.1.43 to Hawthorn 1.3.9 at quarter time.


It got even better in the second, partly because I managed to grab some lunch at quarter time, partly because Silvagni and Curnow got their second goals and even though Hawthorn got one back, the lead blew out to 41 before the party started to fade as we could only manage three behinds to their two goals to go in at half time leading 9.5.59 to 4.5.29.


Meanwhile the Australian women were hitting the Poms to all points of the compass in Christchurch, Alyssa Healy scoring 170 in a mammoth total of 354.


Back in Melbourne, the Blues got the party started again with Curnow’s third and a behind before the Hawks kicked three unanswered goals to go into three quarter time down 10.6.66 to 7.7.49.


I noted that this was too close and so it proved as they opened the last with another three unanswered goals to take a one point lead. Where had we gone? We seemed to be bombing it to a pack inside 50 and Harry could not beat a whole pack. Durdin snapped another brilliant goal but a score review revealed it to have been touched. Scores level! A fantastic right foot banana from the left pocket by Jack Silvagni put us back in front and a behind punched through gave us a crucial seven point lead. But the Hawks would not lie down. They got another goal! We successfully kept them out for the last two minutes to win by the narrowest of margins: 11.8.74 to 11.7.73. Lucky my heart is in good nick!


It was a long trudge home but with a spring in my step. Our first 3-0 start since 2012 and the first time I have attended them all! Go Blues!



CARLTON               7.1     9.5     10.6     11.8 (74)
HAWTHORN          1.3     4.5      7.7      11.7 (73)


Curnow, Silvagni 3, McKay 2, Cripps, Durdin, Owies
Hawthorn: Moore 2, Breust, Gunston, Lewis, Macdonald, Mitchell, Morrison, Wingard


Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Williams, Docherty, Hewett
Hawthorn: Jiath, Mitchell, Worpel, Breust, Newcombe, Moore


Crowd: 66,317



To return to our Footy Almanac home page click HERE.



Our writers are independent contributors. The opinions expressed in their articles are their own. They are not the views, nor do they reflect the views, of Malarkey Publications.



Do you enjoy the Almanac concept?

And want to ensure it continues in its current form, and better? To help things keep ticking over please consider making your own contribution.



Become an Almanac (annual) member – CLICK HERE.

One-off financial contribution – CLICK HERE.

Regular financial contribution (monthly EFT) – CLICK HERE.



Leave a Comment