First Test – Day 2: Not quite singing in the rain

“It’s raining again
Oh no, my love’s at an end.
Oh no, it’s raining again
and you know it’s hard to pretend.”

I’m not sure if any player has ever gone out to bat to any Supertramp song, let alone “It’s Raining Again”. I seriously doubt that many cricketers would have associated Brisbane with rainy weather in late November, as opposed to January and February where the summer storms tend to dominate the climatic conditions. But unfortunately this was the major summary of the scheduled second day’s play at the Gabba, with a total washout for the first time in 30 years for a Brisbane test match.

After a record non-Ashes opening day attendance witnessed South Africa dominate the opening battle in the Heavyweight Championship of Test Cricket, anticipation for Day 2 was high until a quick glance at the weather. Normally some would look and say there will still be some cricket despite the gloomy forecast, but wit the weather radar constantly being checked on my phone it was increasingly likely that there would be no on-ground action for the day. By the time I arrived at the ground minutes after the scheduled start, the stands were sparse with only a few true dreamers waiting for anything to happen. Figuring that there would be a major delay, it was time to stake out a spot at the on ground TAB with an occasional glance through an entrance point to see if the drizzle (which was what the majority of the precipitation was at the ground) had ceased.

At about 11AM I actually wandered up to my vantage point at the Vulture street end between the Cricketer’s Club and the Gabba Members. There were a few that sat and looked at the big cover surrounded by half a dozen security guards looking for anyone to dare to emulate the last ground invader at the Gabba, who got as far as the pitch and Andrew Symonds’ shoulder. A few younger guys wisely took either school or university work to pass the time. A couple scoured the Courier Mail to catch up on the news, perhaps looking for information on the JP Duminy injury (just why he was doing a warm down when he was sitting on his backside for most of Day 1 is beyond me).
After the inevitable early lunch, and a quick on ground interview with the Milo kids from the Gold Coast and Tweed Heads areas whose moment of fame was also washed away, I figured that today would be a first for me EVER. I had sat through rain delays before at test matches, I had left the ground early after rain and bad light conspired to curtail proceedings, I had even sought shelter under the old Clem Jones Stand during a 50 over game between South Africa and New Zealand in the mid 1990’s before the redevelopment (the Kiwi’s won thanks to some haphazard South Africa batting following a typical Chris Cairns blast to end the Kiwi knock). But never before had I experienced a whole day’s play being washed out.

Trying to make the most of the situation, and after reading a tweet saying the South African team had gone back to the Motel, it was back to the spot at the TAB to see another tip (and my hastily taken Quaddie) bomb out. Then with the tail between the legs and the light rain continuing to tumble, I decided to hot foot it to the Wolloongabba bus stop to head back into the city for a spot of shopping. At least now I have a new pair of Adidas runners for next weekend’s mission, a 6km event as part of Run Geelong. Perhaps I may bump into a couple of the Cats players…..

In closing this little piece that is a vain yet lame attempt to bring some colour to a washed out day’s play, I better ask the question of my fellow Almanackers…Have you also been in the crowd for a day of cricket that has been totally washed out? Maybe then I can say I’ve been in elite company.

About Mick Jeffrey

39 Year Old, 16 year Bulldogs. over 280 combined senior/reserves appearances for Brothers AFC in AFL Capricornia. 26 time Marathon finisher, three time Ultra Marathon finisher and three time Comrades Marathon competitor (though not finisher yet).


  1. No Mick,

    but I have come home from the crowd for a day ‘totally washed out’.

Leave a Comment