Welcoming Deakin University to the Almanac
We are very pleased to announce that here at the Almanac we will be working closely with Deakin University throughout 2017. We welcome them as a significant partner.
In sponsoring our book, The Footy Almanac 2016, and also the launch of The Doggies Almanac 2016, Deakin University has recognised the opportunities the Almanac – through our website and our books and other publications – offers students.
Our record is very strong. We have had many students publish with us and I have lost count of how many have gone on to work in journalism, media and communications, publishing and editing, writing, and PR, to name just a few.
Josh Barnstable, who first wrote for us as a Grade 9 student from Numurkah, has now finished his tertiary studies and is a sports journalist in Kyabram. Danni Eid. Kerian Deck. Beth Newman. Susie Geise. Sarah Black. Anne Fedorowytsch. Callum O’Connor. Tom Stephen. Jeremy Hill. Domenic Favata. And many more.
Mandy Johnson first started editing for us while in the final year of her Master’s. Now, two years later, her name appears on the cover of The Doggies Almanac as co-editor.
All pieces by Deakin students will be accompanied by the Deakin logo.
There are many benefits to students, no matter what stage they’re at.
- Opportunity to write freely
- Opportunity to write for a genuinely broad audience
- Opportunity to be part of an active and welcoming creative community
- Opportunity to meet other writers and artists
- Conversations with experienced writers
- Interaction with a diverse range of people from all walks of life
- Incidental and direct mentoring
- Opportunity to be involved in editing
- Opportunity to be part of the process of publishing
- Opportunity to be involved in the nuts and bolts day to day running of websites
- Opportunity to develop administrative skills
If students have the self-motivation and drive to stick with the Almanac, their skills will improve. Their CV will also be better for it, and I have no doubt many of those mentioned have been advantaged by their involvement – some for many years – in the Almanac.
Women’s Sport and the Geelong Women’s Football Club.
Deakin University is a supporter of women’s sport and so their logo will feature on all Almanac articles about women’s sport including AFL Women’s articles and Geelong Women’s Football Club articles.
We are looking forward to the injection of the creative talent of Deakin University and we believe the Almanac has a lot to offer students. We especially look forward to the students’ articles on women’s sport and especially women’s footy. Those contributions are sure to be a pivotal part of our coverage.