Recent articles by respected AFL commentators Leigh Matthews and Matthew Lloyd have called into question the value of ruckmen and Cyril Rioli respectively. In both cases, they felt that their value and overall performance was over-rated.
Debate continues to rage about ruckmen like Sandilands, who wins tap outs that don’t go to advantage or result in clearances, and Nic Nat, who receives plaudits for very few possessions. Lloyd also felt that for all Cyril’s undoubted ability and flashes of brilliance, he didn’t contribute enough when compared to his talent (although he immediately answered with a stunning performance and we will see his value to the team through his injury absence).
Regardless of where you stand on these two issues, you have to admire the stance taken. It is a brave person that will be a stand-alone voice, and say something is overrated when so many see it as wonderful.
Since Saturday, plenty of articles have already been written on the Richmond performance. It is therefore pretty obvious to say that one of the most over-rated things in footy today is the Richmond list.
I believe that discussion on this area should be extended. With that, in AFL and life in general, here is my side of 22 things (including a sub) that are overrated:
- Leunig cartoons
- Nick Riewoldt
- The debate over which is a better city, Sydney or Melbourne
- Coffee (and baristas in general)
- Tom Scully
- Certain players who are becoming free agents at the end of this year, and who assume their salaries will increase by about $200K as a result. There are some seriously average players who suddenly become the next Ablett just around trade time.
- Chris Lilley *
- Things that go ‘viral’
- The Shinboner spirit
- The ongoing debate about food prices at the football. (Has this only just occurred to the AFL since Andy D sat outside a corporate box and bought his kids some hot chips? Has anyone been to an airport recently? Food has always been expensive at the football. Captive audiences mean expensive food. What a surprise when stadium and catering deals were done when the AFL Commission was run by the guy who also ran Spotless. Expect a lot of noise and absolutely nothing concrete to occur in bringing down the price of absolutely anything related to the in-ground experience of going to a game. Nothing. Here’s a tip: bring a sandwich, or try to last 3 hours without a pie or burger. And who is buying their little kids so much soft drink anyway!)
- Johnny Football
- Harry Kewell
- American Hustle
- The shock and faux anger related to the comments of Sam Newman. What a surprise, he has radical and outrageous views! He’s called fossil for a reason, move on people, don’t give him air space.
- Vue de Monde and degustation dining in general
- Cheap handballs and repeated short kick and uncontested possessions that relate to Fantasy points and therefore elevate some players to levels of greatness that don’t correlate to their contribution to a team’s overall success
- The view of the AFL that Grand Final pre-game entertainment adds to the aura of the Grand Final and encourages any extra viewership
- (Sub) Columns about things that are over-rated
*I think Lilley is a brilliant and brave comedian, but I just don’t like his shows