It is great to have the footy back. Not a peptide to be seen, no interviews at Stephen Dank’s house (why does he lock a little gate we can all step over?), and people talking about, (I don’t know, crazy idea here), THE GAME!
With no theme save the quirky and weird, much like Collingwood’s selections and coaching Saturday, some things I gleaned from the weekend:
- As far as I can make out, no dwarves were set alight over the weekend, and whilst that as a measure of success could be seen as coming from a fairly low base, I think we’ll take it.
- There’s no I in TEAM! Yes, but there is one in ‘side’ and ‘line-up’, and a Y in ‘players’.
- There’s also an I and a ME in Clive Palmer.
- Carlton bought back in a bald bloke, with 2 Brownlows, a Premiership captain, a Norm Smith medal, who has been in lots of recent TAC advertising and has a missus who reads the weather. You’d think the Richmond players would have noticed him and tried to curb his influence.
- If the Pav played in a Melbourne based side, we would be banging on about what a champion he is every week. As it is, we all laud Nick Reiwoldt taking marks on the wing, running quite a lot and missing set shots.
- Geelong, a side with notorious sledgers like Mackie, cheeky show-offs like Stevie J, hard nuts like Chappy, free-kick magnets like Selwood and who won flags with blokes with a touch of mongrel in them like Mooney and Scarlett, get upset by the Dockers’ tactics? Spare me.
- The Cats play Freo at home, then Port at the G? Consistency, thy name is Demetriou.
- No one does “He’s the Messiah, we are saved (again)” better than the Melbourne Football Club.
- Could we check whatever the hell it is that Nick Duigan puts in his salad rolls? I want a B sample taken.
- Does anyone remember, way way back last Friday, that the replay of last year’s GF saw the Hawks completely carve up the reigning Premiers to the tune of nearly 10 goals, without Buddy and Cyril? That they are fully fit, the week off, have one of the finest finals players in Hodge running things across half back, have numerous avenues to goal and are filthy hungry after last year? Who would have thought they’d be off Broadway and under the radar.
- In the same time it took Rudd to say “I lost”, Richmond gave up a 5 goal lead, Apple released 2 new iPhones, a Kardashian got married and divorced, 2 more movies about a hostage situation with an American President came out, a 20/20 game was played, Serena Williams completed her 3rd AND 4th round matches, One Direction wrote and released a song and Shane Watson looked in the mirror and said “geez, I’m good” and practiced his DRS referral sign 53 times.